Knights-Honor-Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:The Returning

Magdaline Boru

Saxony
graphgraph
User Offline Klicke hier, um diesem Benutzer eine private Nachricht zu schicken Klicke hier, um das Profil des Spielers zu sehen

to the moderators

The Returning      22.08.2017 14:13:21 --- 2 Months, 4 Weeks ago  
She'd been named for an ancestor so long since dead that she was not even recorded in the annals of ancestral history. The letters wherein she had discovered her beginnings were yellowed and crumbling at the edges, but the bold hand which had written them could still be discerned. Magdaline had learned she had descended from the male line of Muircherlach Boru, the youngest son of the aforementioned ancestor. The woman of the letters had risen to the ranks of nobility though dedication to her people and her willingness to serve her country and her two husbands.

Magdaline smiled as she remembered these things. Perhaps, she thought, I shall follow in this ancestor's footsteps and become as she. She was sitting cross-legged with a half-finished fish trap in her lap and laughed out loud, a merry sound that was reminiscence of bells ringing, causing Gerald to look in her direction to see what was funny. The notion that her ancestor might have engaged in such activities as she was doing now had spurred the mirth, but she did not think Gerald would understand the joke. She just grinned at him and returned to her work.

Where there is courage, there is honor

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Magdaline Boru

Saxony
graphgraph
User Offline Klicke hier, um diesem Benutzer eine private Nachricht zu schicken Klicke hier, um das Profil des Spielers zu sehen

to the moderators

Re:The Returning      23.08.2017 20:02:49 --- 2 Months, 4 Weeks ago  
Magdaline and her prentice, Gerald, stood upon the knoll from whence they had first viewed her fiefdom, this time only hampered in their speed of travel by their equipment and foodstuffs packed neatly into their knapsacks.

The traps had yielded a good many fish, which were being dried and cured over smoky fires. Gerald had been right in that plentiful food would bring in those looking for sustenance and work. Twenty now toiled in the fields, tended the traps or was busy in the preservation of fish. Among them was a well-spoken man by the name of Jakob, whom the others seemed to look to for advice and guidance. After speaking with him and observing his behavior and work ethic, Magdaline had appointed him her overseer, for she had more need of Gerald in other aspects of her fief.

Having left her lands in good hands, they were now off to answer a summons from their Queen to attend the turney being held upon Her Majesty's shire. Magdaline had no expectations of performing well, but she would gain knowledge and training that would serve her later, as would Gerald. Saxony was the next shire over from Merseburg and she felt, as lightly burdened as they were, they would arrive in good time if they did not dawdle along the way.

They quickly found the road northward and set out briskly, neither speaking much in order to save their breath for the effort of traveling quickly.

Magdaline Boru

Saxony
graphgraph

to the moderators

Re:The Returning      27.08.2017 14:30:17 --- 2 Months, 3 Weeks ago  
The very first hit she took was to her head, which proceeded to bounce around the slightly over-sized helm she had borrowed like the clapper of a bell. In the dimness of the helm, Magdaline could have sworn she saw stars and all the subsequent hits to her head and body were mere shadows of the first, so stunned was she. Magdaline didn't even remember falling to the ground, but did think how odd everything looked from that angle and wondering why. She was not even aware of Gerald and another page lifting her from the field and carrying her to her tent.

She now lay upon a cot, armor removed and having been checked by the Queen's physician, who pronounced her mostly unharmed. He had prescribed a a tincture of yarrow for the pain in her head and speed the healing of her bruises and a diffusion of yarrow to wash the minor cuts and abrasions she had suffered, before taking himself off to treat other combatants. Gerald had given her the tincture, but Magdaline had abruptly order him from the tent when he attempted to wash her wounds, stating she was not so addled that she could not attend herself, but thanking him for preparing the diffusion. He left, but returned some time later with a cup of bone broth, showing he held her no ill-will for her terse outburst, understanding the underlying cause was her pain and her natural modesty.

As Magdaline sipped her broth, Gerald regaled her with the results of the turney, although the joust and the duel had yet to find a victor, as rounds were still to be fought. Later, she ask that her cot be moved outside, so that she could see the festivities, even though she was too fatigued to participate in them. This was done and a large bolster provided so she could prop her head and shoulders up comfortably. A cup of wine, mixed with mint, was brought to her and she sipped it occasionally, not wishing to over indulge and give further reason for an aching head.

She marveled at the prowess of some of the other knights and hoped, at some future time, she would have both the stamina and skills to withstand the punishment being dealt and emerge a victor, as surely as some of these knights had done. Magdaline eyes turned to the mounts of some of the knights with thoughts of eventually having her own, for without one she could not participate in the formal joust. Gerald hovered around her until she finally shooed him off with a grin, telling him she would remain as she was until he returned, but to do go enjoy himself. She was more than content to just watch the merry-making.

Magdaline Boru

Saxony
graphgraph

to the moderators

Re:The Returning      02.09.2017 15:50:33 --- 2 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
With Gerald and Jakob by her side, Magdaline slowly made her way round her fief as Jakob gave her a detailed report of the improvements made during her absence while attending the turney. When they had arrived several days ago, she had been pleased to find a sturdy home had been built for her comfort and that housing for those serfs who continued to find their way to her holdings was being provided them and their families. So much had been accomplished and yet, those who were diligently working seemed content.

Magdaline stopped and spoke with a number of them, insuring herself that they were being treated fairly and were being well-fed. While each had been respectful, none showed any fear or deprivation in their faces, which assured Magdaline she had judged Jakob rightly. Their trip back towards her home was along a nearly completed roadway, which would mean materials could be brought in and goods for trade taken out with little difficulty.

The last task, but one which could thankfully be accomplished sitting at a desk, which had been fashioned by one of the serfs with a talent for woodworking, was to go over the ledgers with Jakob. Already, the fiefdom was earning income, although it was modest. Her orders for purchases were frugal, but did insist that seeds be bought and distributed to the serfs so that each might cultivate a garden to supplement the food which was being provided by her hand along with orders directing they should be allowed the time to work their gardens so they might prosper. In repayment, the serfs would provide a small percentage to the fiefdom for selling in the marketplace. Should any serf find they had an overabundance and wished to sell the excess, she would see that it was taken to market and a fair price sought for their goods as well as her own. In addition, she told Jakob to select two of the serfs whom had an aptitude for such work to tend a kitchen garden for Magdaline's personal use, cook and clean. Along with their housing needs, they would also be provided with clothing.

Magdaline gave Jakob details of the clothing, instructing that two sets should also be obtained for himself and Gerald. For the household staff, and dependent upon the sex of said serf, under-layments would be of dark burgundy with either surcoats or kirtles of light gray and emblazoned upon the left shoulder a black phoenix.

When her business was, at last, conducted to her satisfaction, she dismissed Jakob with a smile which faded once he had left. Still recovering from injuries incurred at the turney, she had drained all of her reserves with her inspection of her property. She made herself comfortable in an over-sized chair that had been placed by the fire and which Gerald had padded with various blankets. She had meant to press on with her needlework, but some time later Gerald discovered her slumped against the wing of the chair and sound asleep. After quietly tending to the fire, he left her to her rest.

Magdaline Boru

Saxony
graphgraph

to the moderators

Re:The Returning      06.09.2017 14:08:28 --- 2 Months, 2 Weeks ago  
The coins were slowly beginning to multiply in the strongbox. It indicated progress and frugality, both of which made Magdaline happy. She and Jakob had just completed the accounting for the day when Gerald hurried in. “Mistress, the Queen and her army comes. She sent an outrider to alert us of her arrival by the morrow.” Jakob gave Magdaline a quick bob of his head, “If it pleases you, I will make all preparations for a feast and have all at the ready.” Although slightly nervous at the aspect of receiving her liege, it was not as if it might be unexpected. She'd had word there was a turney further south and it was most likely the Queen and her knights were attending. While it was still a modest affair, Magdaline's house would be as clean as it could be made, with as many comforts as could be available.

It was late the following day when the cavalcade made their way up the newly completed roadway. All was in readiness and Magdaline was glad that she'd made a push to continue to improve her property with all haste for it had produced enough to lay out plenty of food and refreshments for her guests.

She and Gerald had already set up their tents in the large field so that the Queen could take her shelter in Magdaline's home. Jakob was directing the knight's servants to the same field so they could have their master's quarters ready and a separate area had been set aside for their meals. Nearer the house a large canopy had been stretched up with tables and benches for the Queen and her knights to feast.

The food was served, the wine flowed and all was in a jovial mood as the evening came to a close. The Queen had requested Magdaline to attend her, so she followed her into the house as the others began to drift towards their tents and beds. There followed a quiet conversation which Magdaline had not expected, but had pleased her greatly.

When, at last, she made her way to her own tent, Gerald was sitting upon a stool in front of a low fire he'd built. He could not help but be curious as to why the Queen had drawn his mistress aside. It was not his place to ask, but he did hope Magdaline would share. A low, quiet laugh from Magdaline showed that she understood her prentice well. She sat upon a second stool, “It seems we shall pack up with the rest of the army and follow, for I am now a member – as are you, being in my service.” She paused for a moment, “Yet that is not the whole of it. It would seem the Queen is pleased with me and has appointed me her Minister of Foreign Affairs. I have much to learn of this duty and what shall be required of me, but I am willing to give Her Majesty my best effort in the endeavor. That means that most of the care of the fiefdom will now fall to Jakob, for we travel with the army. However, I am confident that he is capable of the task and Fasanenschlosschen will continue to prosper under his guidance as it would under mine.”

Gerald was almost as pleased as Magdaline. He stood from the stool and made a proper bow, “My Lady, I am your obedient servant.” Magdaline chuckled, “Squire Gerald, I think we shall dispense with formalities when there are just the two of us, if you please.” “Well and good”, replied Gerald, “but I can no longer call you mistress in public and I do not wish my tongue to betray me by misstep, thus you will have to contend with m'lady.” He grinned at her as he spoke. While their banter was light, Magdaline knew he spoke truth. “Indeed, the proprieties must be observed. I am sure there are many good reasons for it to be so and, I am sure, in time we shall adjust. Now, go fetch Jakob, if you please, for I do not think I shall have much time in the morning to discuss all that I wish with him.”

It was very late before Magdaline was able to seek out her cot and sleep, but their lengthy discussions of the progress of the fief were eventually agreed upon by both and arrangements were made so that communications between them would be frequent and accomplished with ease. To that end, she would henceforth travel not only with Gerald, but with a courier as well.

As she closed her eyes to slumber, she briefly thought of her ancestress and a smile crossed her lips. It would seem that she would follow in her footsteps after all.

Magdaline Boru

Saxony
graphgraph

to the moderators

Re:The Returning      06.10.2017 00:24:41 --- 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Magdaline knelt by the cradle, watching her son sleep. So much had happened in the short time she had arrived in Saxony. Her fief was growing steadily and, although she could not be thought rich, she was able to meet her obligations to her people and live comfortably.

She'd named the boy Tadc, after one of her ancestors. The man she had taken as a lover during one of the many turneys she had attended did not yet know of his birth. It was difficult to get a message to him as she had not even divulged his name to Gerald. It was not that she did not completely trust her prentice, but for her, this was a most private matter and so it would remain until such time as he would wish to come forth and be named.

In spite of the fact that she would not confide in him on the matter of the boy's father, Gerald could not be more proud of the bonny babe had it been his own. He had been the one to fetch the midwife when his Lady's time arrived and had paced back and forth before the closed door awaiting news. It had been he and Magdaline who planned the festivities for Tadc's naming day and had insisted that he tend to all the arrangements so that she might recover from the birth. Being a strong lass, it did not take a great deal of her strength to deliver the child, but she conceded on this point as a matter of appeasing her conscience for keeping the secret of Tadc's conception from her prentice.

It was now time to present her son to her people and she lifted him from his cradle. His sleepy eyes slowly blinked open and tried to focus on her face. Her voice brought a gurgle from his tiny lips. Magdaline smiled and kissed his head, turned and exited through the door which Gerald held open. The wet nurse took the child from Magdaline and began to make her way slowly through the throng of people come to celebrate his birth.

Go to top Post Reply